Contest Main Page
Winners and Losers
Our eighth hour bonus comes from the realm of Sports, and it's an appropriate time of night for a bonus on Gamewinners and losers. We want you to name the player who accomplished the following deeds that either won or lost the game for his team:
First, the winners......
- Whose corner jumper beat UCLA to end its 88-game winning streak?
- Whose 9th-inning homer beat the Yankees in the 1960 World Series?
- Whose field goal beat the Cowboys in the famed "Super Blooper Bowl"?
- Whose touchdown in overtime defeated the New York Giants in what some say was the NFL's Greatest Game Ever?
- Whose fluke jumper in the 1968-69 NBA finals won the 4th game at the buzzer to beat the Lakers, to even the series at 2 apiece?
- Whose goal ended a triple-overtime game in the 1972 NHL playoff semi-finals, and beat the Blackhawks?
- Who scored the gamewinner in the last three games of the Canada-USSR hockey series in 1972, to pull out victory for Team Canada in the series?
- Whose 15th-inning homer won the 1967 All-Star Game for the National League?
- In the finals of the 1972 basketball finals in the Olympics, whose two free throws put the USA ahead with 3 seconds to go, and who made the heartbreaking gamewinner for the Soviets seconds later?
And the losers.....
- Who was the Michigan placekicker whose failure to kick last-minute field goals two straight years allowed Ohio State to go to the Rose Bowl instead of Michigan?
- Who was the Amhesrt fullback that fumbled in this year's Williams-Amherst game on the Williams' 3-yard line with less than a minute to go?
- Who was the losing pitcher for the National League in the only All-Star Game the NL has lost in the last 15 years or so?
- Who signed an incorrect scorecard and blew the masters in 1968?
- Who was the U.S. hopeful in the 1500 meters in Munich who fell down during the trial heat, and failed to qualify?