Trivia Main Page
The Great Impostor
The 15th Semi-Annual Williams College Trivia Contest. December, 1973
A smaller version of today's Hour Bonus, each hour featured a single question with a multi-part answer. The questions were worth 5 points apiece for complete accuracy, and zero points for anything less.
- 12:00 -- Bonus Question #1 unavailable.
- 1:00 AM -- Bonus Question #2 -- Please list the complete contents of the survival kit, in the movie "Dr. Strangelove."
A: 1 .45-caliber pistol, 2 boxes of ammunition, 4 days concentrated rations, 1 medical kit (including antibiotic pills, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizers and morphine), 1 combination Russian dictionary/Bible, 100 dollars in rubles, 100 dollars in gold, 9 packages of gum, 3 pairs of nylons, and 1 box of prophylactics. (A feller could sure have a good weekend in Vegas with this stuff.)
- 2:00 AM -- Bonus Question #3 -- Name the seven college basketball players who in their careers had averaged twenty points and twenty rebounds per game.
A: Elgin Baylor, Seattle, Walter Dukes, Seton Hall, Julius Erving, U. Mass, Artis Gilmore, Jacksonville, Bill Russell, San Francisco, Paul Silas, Creighton, Kermit Washington, American U.
- 3:00 AM -- Bonus Question #4 -- Name the pitchers off whom Hank Aaron hit his first, 100th, 200th, 300th, 400th, 500th, 600th, and 700th home runs.
A: #1-- Vic Raschi, Cardinals (1954); #100-- Don Gross, Reds (1957); #200-- Ron Kline, Cardinals (1960); #300-- Roger Craig, Mets (1963); #400-- Bo Belinsky, Phillies (1966); #500-- Mike McCormick, Giants (1968); #600-- Gaylord Perry, Giants (1971); #700-- Ken Brett, Phillies (1973)
(NOTE: At the time of this contest and this Bonus Question, Aaron's career total stood at 713, one short of Babe Ruth's 40-year-old record. He would tie the record on Opening Day of the 1974 season, and break it against Los Angeles' Al Downing.)
- 4:00 AM -- Bonus Question #5 -- Give us the names of eight of the twelve "King Cousins" from the "King Family" TV show, (the one who married "Robbie" on the TV show "My Three Sons" doesn't count).
A: Not available.
- 5:00 AM -- Bonus Question #6 unavailable.
- 6:00 AM -- Bonus Question #7 unavailable.
- 7:00 AM -- Bonus Question #8 -- In the movie "Mr. Roberts," you'll all remember when Jack Lemmon gets wind of Betsy Palmer, he gets the idea that he might be able to invite her out to the ship..... he starts tidying up his bunk, and a couple of the things he pulls out are those two little souvenir pillows which Mr. Roberts sees, and carefully announces to the audience what's on them. We'd like you to tell us what is written on Pulver's pillows, in "Mr. Roberts."
A: Pillow #1-- TOUJOURS L'AMOUR; Souvenir of San Diego; Oh You Kid!
Pillow #2-- TONIGHT OR NEVER; Compliments of the American Harvester Company; "We Plow Deep While Others Sleep."
(NOTE: Technically, Mr. Roberts only "carefully announces" the contents of the second pillow. It is in fact Doc who reads the first pillow aloud. Trivia is nothing if not anal.)
This contest is described in detail in Tom Gardner's essay on Cosmic Trivia