Trivia Main Page
The 30th Semi-Annual Williams College Trivia Contest, May, 1981
- (12:00) ABC's Wide World of Sports
- (1 AM) TV Theme Songs -- Teams had to hum the peppy themes for certain TV shows over the phone.
- (2 AM) Mystery Category -- Today's Ultra Boni contain 24 or more clues stretching over seven hours. But they have their antecedents in the "Graduated Boni" of the 1970s and early 80s. Fresh clues were read every 15 minutes, for diminishing returns.
- (3 AM) Movie Quotes
- (4 AM) Kryptonite -- The perfect solution for the lazy "Superman" writer, chunks of Kryptonite were flying around DC Comics throughout the 1960s. Eventually there were seven different kinds of the stuff, which led to this bonus. It's interesting to see that something that comprised a full Hour Bonus in 1981 has been used as a single on-air question in today's more crowded contests.
- (5 AM) Coca-Cola
- (6 AM) Sports Lists
- (7 AM) M*A*S*H -- When this team won in 1979 as The Pros From Dover (a reference from the M*A*S*H movie), an all-4077th bonus was almost mandatory. In 1980, they changed their name to Grape Nehi-- a TV reference this time-- won again, and offered a second M*A*S*H bonus.