[TSAW] 🍧Shaved ice THIS SUNDAY!! 🍧

Lin, Lorelei lyl3 at williams.edu
Wed Sep 20 16:47:37 EDT 2023

Hello friends of TSAW,

Weary of your growing mountain of homework? Join us on the second floor of
Paresky, Sawyer side (aka the Class of '58 lounge) this Sunday, 9/24 from
4:00pm to 5:30pm to enjoy a mountain of shaved ice!

[image: come enjoy shaved ice with typical Taiwanese (1).png]

Called chhoah-peng (礤冰 or 剉冰) in Taiwanese and bàobīng (刨冰) in Mandarin,
shaved ice may have been brought to Taiwan during the Japanese colonial
period
<https://topics.amcham.com.tw/2022/01/a-trifecta-of-traditional-taiwanese-sweets/>
(1895-1945). Today, street vendors and chains like Ice Monster
<https://www.giantrobot.media/stories/2017/10/10/the-holy-grail-of-ice-ice-monster>
sell shaved ice with traditional toppings like grass jelly and red bean as
well as more recent innovations like xuěhuābīng (雪花冰), which is made with
frozen milk in place of water. On Sunday, we'll have chhoah-peng with a
variety of toppings including grass jelly, red bean, condensed milk, fresh
fruit, and boba for you to try. This will be our first event of the year,
so we hope to see you there!

Best,
TSAW Board