[WCFMRadio] The Weekly Feed 5/1

WCFM EMD wcfmemd at gmail.com
Tue May 1 10:41:24 EDT 2018

*STATION NEWS AND EVENTS*
*HONEYSUCKLE CONCERT TONIGHT!*
*Piper Higgins, '21, opening. Concert starts @8. Can't wait to see you
there*

If Honeysuckle isn't enough live music for you, we have one more *Sawyer
Session* happening this semester on Thursday, May 10th. Stay tuned for more
info.

Check out our *Songs of the Week*
<https://williams.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d13c9e642ff6ad53b8708db52&id=2d3b42cbf7&e=8624372a53>

If you still want a WCFM Vaporwave t-shirt, contact msp5. They're $20
(sizes left S, M, XL).

As always, if you're interested in playing a concert or want to be featured
in some music event on campus, *contact msp5.*
*FEATURED ARTIST*

*The local and famous:*
PIPPER HIGGINS
Class of '21

When asked to place her music in a genre, Piper Higgins ’21 responded,“Oh!
How would I pigeonhole my music? Just kidding—right now I’m in the
indy-folk genre.” Piper just released a new EP, *Hallucinations*, in which
she accompanies her raw and raspy vocals with soft and skillful strumming.
As with her first album *Time Machine*, Piper’s newest EP is an
externalization of a certain moment in her life. Her personal lyrics are
surprisingly universal—an effect which Piper intended: “Whatever it means
to anybody else is correct… Its this thing that exists on its own and has a
life of its own.” Listen to Piper this Tuesday, May 1st in Upper Greylock
at 8pm as she opens for Honeysuckle. You can listen to her on Soundcloud here.
<https://williams.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d13c9e642ff6ad53b8708db52&id=588fadc4b3&e=8624372a53>

*FEATURED MUSIC*
*Lavender*
Half Waif

When Nandi Rose Plunkett (Half Waif) wrote and recorded* Lavender*, her
grandmother was alive, and though she didn't show signs of illness in
September, it was obvious that her life – after 95 years – was drawing to a
close. As a result, themes of aging and collapse intricately weave their
way through this album. *Lavender* is a love letter to time, the journeys
we choose to take, and the slow but beautiful slog towards the inevitable
end. As Nandi describes it, "[this record] is an examination of the way we
fracture, inside ourselves and inside our relationships – the fissures that
creep along the structures we build, the tendency towards disintegration."
Spotted with bold lyricism and unexpected hooks, this Half Waif release is
fierce and beautiful.
*Twerp Verse*
Speedy Ortiz
*Twerp Verse*, Speedy Ortiz' third album and first with Philadelphian Andy
Molholt (Laser Background) on second guitar, is urgent and taut, adding
surprising textures like Linn drums and whirled guitar processing to their
off-kilter hooks. Dupuis, whose electropop solo project Sad13 debuted in
2016 shortly after her own move to Philadelphia, has become more
instinctive in her songwriting—her home-recorded demos mirror Twerp
Verse's songs in a closer way than any other Speedy record—while her lyrics
have become more pointedly witty. The band's camaraderie and crate-digging
is evident, with diffuse reference points like Squeeze, Hop Along, Prince,
Paramore, and Brenda Lee being sucked into the band's chaos. Even when
Dupuis sings of alienation and political weariness, the pop maelstrom
swirling around her provides a defiantly charged, mussed-but-hooky optimism.

*Also Check Out: Wallows - *Spring
*Stimulator Jones - *Exotic Worlds and Masterful Treasures
*Hot Snakes - *Jericho Sirens
*The Beths - *Warm Blood
Check out our New Music Playlist:

*https://open.spotify.com/user/1286482475/playlist/74i0JsVfRrm87RxGGem1lp?si=nlyWjuwnRu6esMLzu1q1OQ
<https://open.spotify.com/user/1286482475/playlist/74i0JsVfRrm87RxGGem1lp?si=nlyWjuwnRu6esMLzu1q1OQ>*
*tune in @ wcfm.williams.edu
<https://williams.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d13c9e642ff6ad53b8708db52&id=d2d7b83367&e=8624372a53>*

This email was sent to wcfmemd at gmail.com
*why did I get this?*
<https://williams.us16.list-manage.com/about?u=d13c9e642ff6ad53b8708db52&id=26061f248f&e=8624372a53&c=00fe38c121>
    unsubscribe from this list
<https://williams.us16.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=d13c9e642ff6ad53b8708db52&id=26061f248f&e=8624372a53&c=00fe38c121>
    update subscription preferences
<https://williams.us16.list-manage.com/profile?u=d13c9e642ff6ad53b8708db52&id=26061f248f&e=8624372a53>
WCFM 91.9FM · Paresky Center · Williamstown, Ma 01267 · USA

[image: Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp]
<http://www.mailchimp.com/monkey-rewards/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monkey_rewards&aid=d13c9e642ff6ad53b8708db52&afl=1>