[WCFMRadio] WCFM Tech Updates

Matthew Newman mcn2 at williams.edu
Sun Sep 23 18:10:29 EDT 2018

Hello WCFM DJs!!

My name is Matt Newman, and I am the technical & web director of WCFM. Sorry in advance for this long email, but please read all of the information as it applies to all DJs!

If you have any technical questions (stream is down, soundboard problems, etc.), please reach out to me (my unix is mcn2).
Some people have been having problems with the mics not working, AUX not working, or the mac sound not coming through. All of these problems can be fixed if the soundboard is in the following configuration (picture below). Note how the buttons on the entire top row are off (except for the second yellow slider if you want turntable 2). Also note that the buttons in the next 3 rows are all on. Please try to keep the soundboard like this :)
Many DJs like to use the turntables to play vinyl, and we are lucky enough to have 2 in the studio! However, last year, we had to replace a lot of turntable needles. To avoid this going forward, this video shows the proper way to use a turntable (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I6Hrp7RaKE <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I6Hrp7RaKE>).
Lastly, some of the Campus News entries in the Programming log are perfect and contain a paragraph. However, some entries only contain the subject or a brief one line description. Ideally, it would be great if these were a little more detailed in the future. It's important that DJ's do Campus news, some sort of news, or a discussion of a news topic during their shows. DJ's can, and should be encouraged to, use other sources for news in addition to the Williams Record such as the berkshireeagle.com <http://berkshireeagle.com/>, williamstown.com <http://williamstown.com/>, etc.

tl;dr - My unix is mcn2, keep the soundboard organized, be nice to the turntable needles, and don’t forget campus news

If you got this far, thank you for reading! I look forward to hearing all of your incredible shows in the future!

Best,
Matt Newman