- Load Outlook and click on the Tools menu.
- Select "Email Accounts"
- Select "Add a New Email Account"
- Select "IMAP"
- Fill out your information. The way you write your name is the way it will appear in the heading of your emails to other people. For email address use either your unix (08xyz) or full name (Franklin.Bluth@williams.edu).
- For Incoming server use "studentmail.williams.edu"
- For Outgoing server use "mail.williams.edu"
 Offline viewing
You can set Outlook to download your e-mail from the IMAP server onto your personal computer if you are so inclined. The advantage is that you can get to all your e-mail just by opening Outlook, without connecting to the server (or the Internet at all, for that matter). The downside is that sometimes Outlook loses contact with the IMAP server and might shut down the rule you set up.
- Create a folder to be your inbox (if necessary)
- Go to Tools > Rules Wizard...
- Under "Apply changes to this folder" select "Inbox [mail.williams.edu]"
- Click "New"
- Select the "Start from a blank rule" radio button
- Select "Check messages when they arrive," then click "Next"
- Under "Which condition(s) do you want to check?" check the "through the specified account" box. Then, under "Rule Description," click the word "specified" and select mail.williams.edu. Click OK, then click Next.
- Under "What do you want to do with the message?" check "move it to the specified folder." Then, under "Rule description," click the word "specified" and select the folder you created in step 1 (or any other folder in Outlook--check under the "Personal Folders" heading). Click OK, then click Finish.
- Make sure the rule is checked in the Rules Wizard. Click OK.
- If this ever breaks, go to the Rules Wizard and make sure the rule you made is preceded by a checkmark.