|In 1808, Mills and other Williams students formed "The Brethren," a society organized to "effect, in the persons of its members, a mission to the heathen." Upon the enrollment of Mills and Richards at Andover Seminary in 1810, Adoniram Judson from Brown, Samuel Newall from Harvard, and Samuel Nott from Union College joined the Brethren. Led by the enthusiasm of Judson, the young seminarians convinced the General Association of Congregational Ministers of Massachusetts to form The American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions in 1810. In February, 1812, Rev. and Mrs. Judson, Rev. and Mrs. Newall, Rev. and Mrs. Nott, Rev. Gordon Hall, and Rev. Luther Rice were commissioned as the Board's first missionaries and set sail for Calcutta, India.||
The first five missionaries sponsored by the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions were ordained on February 8, 1812, in the Tabernacle Church, in Salem, Massachusetts. Among their number were Williams alumni Gordan Hall (1808) and Luther Rice (1810), who sailed shortly thereafter for Calcautta, India.
Photo used with permission of The Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA.
|Religious Revival||The Haystack Prayer Meeting||America's First Protestant Missionaries||Men of the Haystack|
|The Mission Park Association||The Haystack Monument||Mission Park Today||The Legacy of the Haystack||Educational Impact|
Table of Contents