Consider taking RUSSIAN at WilliamsPosted Thursday September 1 by Julie Cassiday
10 Reasons to Study Russian at Williams:
1. Russian is the 6th most spoken language in the world with almost 300 million speakers, about half of whom live outside of Russia.
2. Vladimir Putin has made Russia a global power—for better or worse!
3. Russia is the world’s largest country—almost twice the size of the U.S.—covering 1/8 of the world’s land surface and spanning 9 time zones.
4. Russia holds the world’s largest natural gas reserves, the second-largest coal reserves, and the ninth-largest crude oil reserves.
5. You’d like to learn more about the colorful characters in Russian history like Ivan the Terrible, Catherine the Great, Rasputin, and Stalin.
6. Russia is among the 10 strongest economies in the world with tremendous work and business opportunities.
7. You’ve always wanted to read Tolstoy and Dostoevsky in the original.
8. You’d like to travel on the trans-Siberian railway and see the white nights in St. Petersburg.
9. Russian was the first language in outer space and astronauts are required to learn Russian.
10. You’ll get a cool Russian name like Володя, Настя, or Саша.
Consider taking RUSS 101(D): Elementary Russian this fall. MWF 10-10:50 am and TR 9:55-11:10 am in Hollander 158. Fulfills Div. I and EDI requirements. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.