Contest Main Page
(Note: In most cases, if you can find the *name* of the pet, you'll get more points than if you just say "dog" or "fuzzball".)
Pets in Print
- What are the names of King Lear's three dogs?
- In the comic strip Foxtrot, what is Jason's pet and what is his primary use throughout?
- At the end of The Odyssey, Ulysses finally returns home after twenty long years of traveling, and enters his house in disguise. Who is the only one to recognize him (provide name)?
- Ladybug in Cricket magazine has a pet, who at one point eats all the fairy dust and nearly stops the gang from being able to attend the Fairyland Olympics. What is her name?
- Which president owned the first cat in the White House?
- President Franklin D. Roosevelt owned a dog during his time in office that traveled with him everywhere. Once he even sent a destroyer to pick him up after he was left behind in the Aleutian Islands. What was the Scottish terrier's FULL name?
- Which president owned a pigmy hippo?
- Which president's dog had his own hand-carved high-backed chair that he sat in during Cabinet meetings? What was the dog's full name?
- Which president owned an alligator?
- What was the name of Amy Carter's Siamese cat?
- What was President Teddy Roosevelt doing when he first encountered his dog Skip?
Pets in Movies
- During Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Pee Wee Herman rescues several animals from a pet shop fire. What order does he save them in?
- Who played Toto in the movie The Wizard of Oz?
- In Back to the Future, what was the name of Doc's dog in the 1950's?
- In the movie Dances with Wolves, what is the name of the wolf that Kevin
Costner dances with?
- At the end of the movie City Slickers, Billy Crystal's character comes home with a new pet. What's its name, and how does he first meet it?
- In the movie Austin Powers, what happens when Mr. Bigglesworth gets upset?
List the pet that is attached to each of these Disney characters; identify by name and species (i.e., for instance, Fluffy the frog, or Flounder the fish (except Flounder isn't a pet so much as a friend, really).)
- Roger and Anita (name three)
- Darling and Jim Dear
- Aunt Sarah
- Gepetto (list both)
- Jenny (list both)
- Penny (at the orphanage)
- Cinderella's stepmother
- Mme. Adelaide Bonfamille
- Below are pictures of pets from various TV shows. Identify
them by name and title of the show.
- Match the following celebrities to their pets:
|a. Admiral Byrd||a. Belle the golden retriever|
|b. Winston Churchill||b. Blizzard the lizard|
|c. Leonardo DiCaprio||c. Hodge the cat|
|d. Walt Disney||d. Bubbles the monkey|
|e. Queen Elizabeth II||e. Gangster the boxer|
|f. Michael Jackson||f. Mortimer the mouse|
|g. Samuel Johnson||g. Rufus the poodle|
|h. Helen Keller||h. boa constrictor|
|i. Slash||i. Igloo the fox terrier|
|j. Sylvester Stallone||j. Corgis|
- What was the name of the pet of the female Gelfling in The Dark Crystal?
- What is the name of the two-headed llama that Doctor Doolittle encounters at the beginning of the movie?
- In Anne McCaffrey's books set on Pern, what do most people have as small pets?
- What colors do they come in? Which of those are female?
- What was the only pet in the Secret Annex?
- Identify the authors of the following poems written for their dogs:
- What is the matter with poor Puggy-wug?
Pet him and kiss him and give him a hug.
Run and fetch him a suitable drug,
Wrap him up tenderly all in a rug.
That is the way to cure Puggy-wug.
- Of all the dogs arrayed in fur,
Hereunder lies the truest cur.
He knew no tricks, he never flattered:
Nor those he fawned upon bespattered.
- Near this spot
Are deposited the remains of One
Who possessed Beauty without Vanity
Strength without Insolence
Courage without Ferocity
And all the Virtues of Man without his Vices.
This praise which would be unmeaning Flattery
If inscribed over human ashes
Is but a just tribute to the Memory of Boatswain, a Dog...
- I have done mostly what most men do,
And pushed it out of my mind;
But I can't forget, if I wanted to,
Four-Feet trotting behind.
Day after day, the whole day through --
Wherever my road inclined --
Four-Feet said, "I am coming with you!"
And trotted along behind.
Now I must go by some other round, --
Which I shall never find --
Somewhere that does not carry the sound
Of Four-Feet trotting behind.