[TSAW] Information Regarding Hazing

Chen, Jacob jmc8 at williams.edu
Tue Oct 18 20:51:29 EDT 2022

Good evening TSAW,

As the student leader of TSAW, it is my responsibility to share with you
the following information regarding hazing:
https://dean.williams.edu/student-handbook/hazing/. The first two
paragraphs are as follows:

"Hazing is prohibited by the College and is subject to the College rules on
disciplinary proceedings.  Hazing is defined as any activity expected of
someone joining or participating in a group that humiliates, intimidates,
demeans, abuses or endangers them regardless of a person’s willingness to
participate.  Hazing also includes soliciting, directing, aiding, or
otherwise participating actively or passively in the above acts.

Due to the socially coercive nature of hazing, the College looks beyond
implied or expressed consent to acts of hazing."

TSAW does not condone hazing in any form, and please remember that it is
prohibited. That's all, I hope you enjoy your evening. :)

Warm regards,
Jacob
*on behalf of the TSAW Board*

*Jacob M. Chen*
*Williams College Class of 2023.5*
*B.A. Major in Computer Science and Concentration in French*
*Pronouns: he/him or they/them*

*Land Acknowledgement*

*We respectfully acknowledge that Williams College stands on the ancestral
homelands of the Stockbridge-Munsee Mohicans, who are the Indigenous
peoples of the region now called Williamstown. Following tremendous
hardship after being forced from their valued homelands, they continued as
a sovereign Tribal Nation in Wisconsin, which is where they reside today.
We pay honor and respect to their ancestors past and present as we commit
to building a more inclusive and equitable space for all.*