[Williams Ballroom] Contradance this Saturday!

Levy, Emma esl1 at williams.edu
Mon Nov 4 15:13:46 EST 2019

Hi ballroom dancers!

Just wanted to let you all know about a really fun dancing event happening
on campus this weekend! This *Saturday, 11/9* from *7:30-10:30pm*, there
will be a* contradance *at the *Community Preschool* (formerly the
Methodist Church, on the corner of Main and Water St) that is open to any
and all who want to join! Admission is $5 for students, $12 general, and
there will be live music and a potluck with snacks and drinks. This is a
great opportunity to learn some basic steps in a welcoming, inclusive
environment, and have a great time with old and new friends!

Hope you're all staying warm in this weather (looks like snow might be
coming later this week?!), and we hope to see some of you this Saturday!

Best,

Emma and Lily

PS: If you're curious to learn more, please check out this brief
description of the event from one of the community members who helps
organize it:

*"We encourage Williams students who are interested in music or dance to
come to the next contra dance hosted by North Berkshire Community Dance. *

*Places like Cape Breton; New Orleans; and County Clare, Ireland, are
almost synonymous with the acoustic music and distinctive dance traditions
that emerged from those areas.  New England contra dancing and related
fiddle music are not so widely known by the general public, but this
tradition is thriving nonetheless.  Close to Williamstown, enthusiastic
dancers flock Greenfield, Lenox, Sheffield, and Albany to attend energetic
dances that have been going on for years. *

*Here in Williamstown, we are trying to bring this cultural heritage into
our own backyard with the North Berkshire Community Dance, which is held
the second Saturday of every month at the Williamstown Community Preschool,
777 Main Street.  With this dance still in its infancy, the NBCD Board is
doing all we can to get the news out to our community—including Williams
College and MCLA students. *

*Contra dancing is simple to learn; anybody who has square danced probably
already knows many of the moves.  A caller teaches the specific patterns of
every dance.  What give contra dancing its special energy is that the music
is always live, with fiddlers usually carrying the tune.  We’ve invited
some of the premier musicians in New England to our dances, but we’ve also
welcomed local musicians.  If you want to get a taste of our home-grown
talent, you can check out Moca Jam at Lickety Split at MassMoca any
Saturday morning.*

*If you’ve never contra danced before, please give it a try.  If you’re
already a dancer or a musician, come on along and help others get
acquainted with the excitement of New England contra dance.  If you would
like more information on NBCD or want to help us organize dances, please
contact John Case at jocinparis at gmail.com <jocinparis at gmail.com> or Tony
Pisano at antpisano at hotmail.com <antpisano at hotmail.com>."*

ALSO, check out this link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcYOIXIMfJQ) to
see some basic steps and get a better idea of what contradancing looks
like! It's a lot like square dancing, and it's done as a group -- and it's
super fun!!