|Willipedia is now back online as of 5/5/2019|
|It has been several years since Willipedia closed. Please help get it updated!|
|Go to the Willipedia 2.0 Project to learn more.|
Configuring an email client
Many people are content to use Williams Webmail because itâ€™s simple and relatively easy. However, if you check your email frequently and donâ€™t want to log in every time, you might be ready to move to an email client like Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird. These programs, and many others will allow you to leave your mailbox open on your computer so you can check messages as you receive them as well as organize your contacts and make mail deletion and management a lot more convenient. A note to all those in the class of 2006, your incoming and outgoing servers are both mail.williams.edu.
- Load Outlook and click on the Tools menu.
- Select â€œEmail Accounts.â€
- Select â€œAdd a New Email Accountsâ€
- Select â€œIMAPâ€
- Fill out your information. The way you write your name is the way it will appear in the heading of your emails to other people. For email address use either your unix (08xyz) or full name (Franklin.Bluth@williams.edu).
- For Incoming server use â€œstudentmail.williams.eduâ€
- For Outgoing server use â€œmail.williams.eduâ€
- Load Thunderbird and Click on the tools menu:
- Select â€œAccount Settingsâ€
- Select â€œAdd Accountâ€
- Select â€œEmail Accountâ€
- Input your Name and Email Address
- Select â€œIMAPâ€
- Input incoming server as â€œstudentmail.williams.eduâ€
- Input your personal information
- Now, back at the original box entitled â€œAccount settings,â€ Look at the list on the left and select â€œOutgoing Serverâ€
- Click â€œEditâ€
- For Outgoing Server use â€œmail.williams.eduâ€
- Check the â€œUse Name and Passwordâ€ under the Security Authentication box
A more comprehensive list of setting up older versions of Microsoft Outlook or other programs here.