|Willipedia is now back online as of 5/5/2019|
|It has been several years since Willipedia closed. Please help get it updated!|
|Go to the Willipedia 2.0 Project to learn more.|
In Support of the Log
On January 27, College Council passed the following resolution in support of re-opening the log. If you support the following resolution, please add your name to the petition.
2009-2010 Williams College Council
Resolution 08-0910 Introduced on January 13, 2010
Author(s): Ifiok Inyang ’11 Co-Sponsor(s): Michael Tcheyan ’10 and Emanuel Yekutiel
A statement of support and sponsorship for the reopening of The Log
WHEREAS The Log is a College institution steeped in tradition that has been enjoyed and cherished by several generations of students.
WHEREAS The Log has been closed since late 2007 and had been operating in a reduced capacity for the 5 previous years.
WHEREAS A reopened Log could serve as a venue for a diverse array of students, faculty, staff, and authorized guests to come together and share in an eclectic blend of positive social activities.
WHEREAS A reopened Log will have a subdued, pub-like atmosphere that encourages moderation: Programming plans include events such as open mic nights and literary readings along with pub quizzes and other creative events – no dance parties.
WHEREAS Along with a selection of alcoholic beverages, the bar will also serve juices, soft drinks, coffee, tea, gourmet sandwiches, baked goods, and light snacks.
WHEREAS A wristband ID system and highly trained staff will ensure that the venue, which will be open from Thursday to Saturday between the hours of 7 p.m. and midnight, operates in a safe, responsible, and successful manner.
LET IT BE RESOLVED that the Williams College Council:
1. Supports the reopening of the Log as a bar for the benefit of Williams students, faculty, staff, and authorized guests.
2. Endorses and agrees to sponsor the reopened Log as a vital and beneficial student space.
3. Commits up to $20,000 to financially supporting the reopening of the Log through the means at its disposal should the operation run a deficit. This guarantee is contingent upon the College administration’s approval of a plan to reopen the Log as a bar as well as the administration’s support for the startup costs of this project. The amount of guaranteed financial support is significant in relation to the semester operating costs of the Log.
4. Will devise a means for financing deficits should the Log run them, to be determined by the Treasurer in consultation with other Council members.
5. Will assess its support of the Log at the end of the 2009-2010 academic year, and does not guarantee financial support for the operation beyond this point.
First Reading: January 13, 2010
Adopted by Council on January 27, 2010, by a vote of 14-2-3
In support of the Log: 1. Elizabeth Brickley