Men's Varsity Crew
IMPORTANT: The content of this page is outdated. If you have checked or updated this page and found the content to be suitable, please remove this notice.
The Williams Men's Varsity Crew is one of the most consistent and dominant crews in New England. Frequently ECAC finalists, typically New England medalists, and more often than not Little Three champions. Graduating Captains for this past year 2010-2011 were Dan Kenefick, Jack Wadden, and Joey Kiernan. For the upcoming 2011-2012 season's Captains are Noah Schoenholtz '12 and Alex Treco '12.
History, achievements, and traditions
For the history of the crew team, see Crew.
- Defeated Harvard at the Henley Royal Regatta in 1989.
- New England Champions 1994, 1995, 1996, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012; have made New England finals every year since 1993.
- ECAC National Invitational Rowing Champions 2010, 2012
- Holders of the Head of the Charles Men's Club 8 course record (1997, as Onota Lake Rowing Association.)
- Head of the Charles Men's Collegiate 8 Champions (2008, 2009, 2011)
- Holders of the Onota Cup (varsity race between Marist, USCGA, Bates, Ithaca and Williams on Lake Onota)
- Little Three champions for 2000-2006 and 2008-2012 and thus current holders of the Saratoga Oar.
Being a year-long sport with a relatively short race calendar, Williams Crew is full of athletic traditions to punctuate the year. Some, though not all, are unique to the varsity men. Roughly in order, they are:
- The intra-squad Run with the erg.
- The Triathlon.
- Mad Cows.
Recent Notable Results
- Head of the Charles Collegiate 8: Varsity, 1st
- New England Rowing Championships: Varsity, 1st
- ECAC National Invitational Regatta : Varsity, 1st
- New England Rowing Championships: Varsity, 1st; 2nd Varsity, 3rd; 3rd Varsity, 2nd
- Onota Cup: Varsity, 1st; 2nd Varsity; 2nd, Freshmen, 2nd
- Sweep at Little Two vs. Wesleyan
- Head of the Charles Collegiate 8: Varsity, 1st; 2nd Varsity, 20th
- Henley Royal Regatta Temple Cup Quarterfinals
- ECAC National Invitational Regatta: Varsity, 4th; 2nd Varsity, 9th; 3rd Varsity, 4th; Freshman, 2nd.
- New England Rowing Championships: Varsity, 2nd; 2nd Varsity, 7th; 3rd Varsity, 2nd; Freshman, 1st.
- Sweep at the Little Three vs. Wesleyan and Amherst.
- Peter S. Wells '79, current head Crew coach at Williams and coach of the Men's Varsity Crew.
- G. Lindsay Brown '86, US National Team, 1988 Olympian, and coach of St. Andrew's (Delaware) Crew.
- Andrew P. N. Erdmann '88. While at Oxford University in 1989 & 1990 Isis Boat Club/Race member. Former Iraqi Minister of Education (US State Department.)
- Mark Cullen '90, US National Team.
- John Kennel '91, US National Team.