|Willipedia is now back online as of 5/5/2019|
|It has been several years since Willipedia closed. Please help get it updated!|
|Go to the Willipedia 2.0 Project to learn more.|
The snow has fallen, is falling or will soon fall. That means only one thing...ski season!
- 1 Alpine Skiing Areas
- 2 Cross-Country Skiing Destinations
- 3 People to Ski With
- 4 Lift Passes
- 5 Links
Alpine Skiing Areas
One question on everyone's mind: Where to go?
Please add areas in order of increasing distance from campus . . . and stick to New England. Let's not get everyone jealous or homesick by posting West Coast areas.
Pros: closest area to campus, ~1000 ft. vertical drop, a high speed six-seat chairlift, and good bunny hill. They sell really cheap passes for Winter Study (some including rentals), so if you ever want to learn, this is the place - you'll be paying 10 times as much anywhere else.
Cons: Two moderately challenging runs (Upper Lift Line and Jericho once the sun goes down). Can be cold/icy. Expensive if you don't get a Winter Study package.
Distance from campus: 25 minutes
Distance from campus: 40 minutes
Pros: Dirt cheap ($15 midweek). Will probably take you the better part of the day to ski every single run.
Distance from campus: About 1+ hours south of Williamstown (especially if you go via Hancock instead of Pittsfield).
Distance from campus: 45 minutes east along Rt. 2
Distance from campus: 1 1/2 hours +
Distance from campus: 2 hours +
Mad River Glen
Say what you will about having no snowmaking, not allowing snowboarders, and having a single chair lift that takes 15 minutes to get to the top, Alan Cordova thinks that with the crazy deals, random powder stashes, strange sense of humor, and cooperative (not corporate) ownership, MRG rocks.
Distance: 3 hours +
A fun, reasonably priced area that isn't far from campus. It has a number of fast lifts and a wide variety of terrain.
Deals worth considering:
- Sunday Afternoon Passport - $29 all ages, good 12:30 through 4:00 p.m. (not available during Holiday Periods)
- College Break - Just show a valid college ID and save $10 on Weekend and Holiday lift tickets. Discount can be applied to ALL DAY regular priced tickets only.
check out the site for more details http://www.bromley.com
Distance: 1 hour
Magic is pretty old-school, mainly relying on a double chair to service the peak. The mountain has a lot of character, and some really fun terrain.
Distance: 1 hour, 15 minutes
New Hampshire Areas
The ultimate extreme skiing destination in New England. Located in Tuckerman Ravine of Mount Washington in New Hampshire. Ski season begins in March (when the avalanches begin to lighten up) and usually continues through May.
Distance from campus: 4 hours (plus hiking)
Cross-Country Skiing Destinations
Please add areas in order of increasing distance from campus.
Taconic Golf Club
A nationally renowned golf course by spring, summer, and especially fall, Taconic GC turns cross country heaven for the long Williams winter. You'll have to wake up pretty early to be the one to put the first tracks over the hills and dales of the cours's rolling terrain, as it is a close and popular destination for all local folk.
Distance from campus: mere minutes.
Hopkins Memorial Forest, Williams' own gem of a forest preserve, is a cross country wonderland. Our trail crews prioritize cross country skiing as a major use of the land in winter and maintain it accordingly during that time, and motorized vehicles are banned from the trails.
People to Ski With
- Alan Cordova will ski anywhere anytime with anyone as long as he doesn't have to pay $70 for a lift ticket.
- Brendan Dougherty likes his skiing the way he likes his beer, in that he likes them both a lot.
- See Willipedia's guide to skiing cheaply
- All for One Pass
- Jiminy 5/7 Pass: The 5/7 Pass is valid midweek Monday through Friday Non-Holiday 9 A.M. to 10:30 P.M. and everyday including weekends, holidays and holiday periods from 3 P.M. to 10:30 P.M.
- Jiminy Peak 6/7 Pass: The 6/7 Pass is valid Sunday through Friday Non-Holiday 9 A.M. to 10:30 P.M. everyday including weekends, holidays and holiday periods from 3 P.M. to 10:30 P.M.