Contest Main Page
Pets and Animals
(Yes, we are really being nice enough to tell you how we are scoring this; it honestly is not a trick; trust us....)
1) DIVIDE THE NUMBER OF CORRECT ANSWERS BY 5.
2) 120/5 = 24 RAW POINTS.
3) 1 POINT ADDED IF YOU SPELL YOUR TEAM NAME CORRECTLY.
4) NOT CURVED!! NO OTHER FACTORS INVOLVED IN SCORING!!
5) EVERY QUESTION IS WEIGHED EQUALLY; NOT BY SECTIONS.
6) 25 POINT TOTAL (Hour Boni are worth 10).
TELEVISION PETS: 15 Qs
- Describe Mr. Spock's Teddy Bear.
A live SEHLAT, with 6" poisonous fangs
- Name Maxwell Smart's dog.
Fang, Agent K-13, cover name "Morris"
- What kind of animal was Billie Joe McKay's BEAR, and for whom was he named?
A pet chimp, named after Bear Bryant
- Name the Nash family pet of "Please Don't Eat The Daisies."
- FIVE IS RIGHT OUT
- There is no question six.
- Name "Dr. Who"s Animal Companion.
- Name the Dobermans on "Magnum P.I."
Apollo and Zeus
- What is the pet Miss Sullivan owns on "Night Court"?
Mr. Whiskers, a cat
- What is the animal sidekick of Det. Tony Baretta?
Fred, a cockatoo
- Name the owners of "Golden Ear-Rings," and tell us the type of animal.
A racing greyhound co-owned (for an episode) by Oscar Madison and Felix Unger
- Who treated Sparky, the white cocker spaniel owned by The Fonz?
Dr. Joyce Brothers
- Name the dog belonging to the Little Rascals.
- What was the breed of Lt. Howard Hunter's pet?
A shar pei
- From "Cheers," Fraser owned a dog, but had to give him to Sam when Diane moved in with him. Tell us why he did this, and give us both of the dog's names.
Diane was allergic (turned out her reaction was psychosomatic); Fraser called it "Pavlov," Sam renamed it "Diane"
- What was the breed of Jim Ignatowski's pet?
- From "M*A*S*H," what was the special contribution of the rabbit named "Fluffy," out of all the rabbits on the show?
She was humanely used for Margaret's "rabbit test," which involved the surgical removal of Fluffy's ovaries.
MOVIES: 10 Qs
1. Supply the Missing Elements in the below GRID:
CARTOON PETS: 10 Qs
Given the owner(s), tell us the name and breed of the pet.
- Fred and Wilma Flintstone
- George and Jane Jetson
Astro (Tralfaz), dog
- Mickey and Minnie Mouse
- Davey Hanson
- Speed Racer and team:
- Johnny Quest
Bandit, very small bulldog
- Swee'Pea and Popeye
Eugene, Jeep (a magical creature)
- The Grinch
- Mr. Peabody (dog)
Sherman, boy ("every dog should have one")
- Savoire Faire (mouse)
COMIC BOOK PETS: 10 Qs
First, given the owner, tell us the pet:
- Legion of Super Heroes' "Legion of Super Pets"
Krypto the Super-Dog; Streaky the Super-Cat; Comet the Super-Horse; Proty the Super-Protozoan; Beppo the Super-Monkey
Ace the Bat-Hound (just "Bat-Hound" acceptable)
- Archie Andrews
- What character is "associated" with Lamar the Ice Skating Water Buffalo, and Senator Kasten, the Truffle-Sniffing and Vampire-Hunting Pig?
The Badger, Norbert Sykes
- Rex The Wonder Dog
General Jeff Smith, pet human.)
Now, given the pet, tell us the owner.
- Kitty Pryde (pet girl; aka Shadowcat)
- Lockjaw (human mutated into a dog is close enough)
- Miri and Biri (leopards)
Dr. Shanna O'Hara Plundarr
- Bombastus (genetically created cat)
Adrian Veidt aka Ozymandius ("Watchmen")
- Ebony (black cat, "familiar")
COMIC STRIP PETS: 10 Qs
Given the STRIP, and the owner's name(s), tell us the pet:
- PEANUTS, Frieda (the girl with the naturally curly hair)
- BLONDIE, Blondie and Dagwood Bumstead
- CATHY, Cathy
Electra, small dog
- KUDZU, Kudzu
Doris, chocaholic parakeet
- FOR BETTER OR WORSE, The Johnsons
Farley, sheep dog
- DENNIS THE MENACE, Dennis Mitchell (2)
Ruff, dog; and Hotdog, cat
- LITTLE ORPHAN ANNIE, Annie
- FOXTROT, Jason Fox
- HAGAR THE HORRIBLE, Hagar (2)
Snert, dog; and Qvack, duck
- BEETLE BAILEY, Sgt. Snorkel
PRESIDENTIAL PETS: 5 Qs
- The autobiography of one Presidential pet actually outsold the simultaneously-sold autobiography of another President. Name the pet, its owners and co-author, and the humiliated head honcho.
Millie the dog; George and Barbara Bush; Barbara Bush (again); Ronald Reagan
Pets have even been the subject of scandals, when either presented as gifts to the First Family from foreign leaders, or when government resources are diverted to them.
- Which pet received the use of a private navy aircraft during a war?
Fala, FDR's dog. (Full name: Murray of Fallahill)
- A speech about receiving which dog as a gift, enabled which pre-Presidential candidate to save his political career?
Checkers, Richard Nixon
- Tell us the breed of Nip and Tuck, as well as their owner.
Canaries; Calvin Coolidge
- Name the pets which LBJ used to dangle by their ears for photographers.
Him and Her, beagles.
ADVERTISING: 10 Qs
Identify the animal representative, or voice used.
- Buster Brown's dog
- Charlie the Tuna (voice)
- Morris the Cat (voice)
- MGM (lion)
- Stroh's Beer (dog)
Alex, golden retriever
- Sugar Bear (original voice)
- Nestle (dog)
- Borden's Milk (Elsie the cow is obvious, but name the bull OR the calves).
Bull--Elmer; Calves-- Beulah and Beauregard
- RCA Victor "His Master's Voice"
- What is McGruff The Crime Dog's base of operations?
COMMUNICATION WITH ANIMALS: 10 Qs
How do these people communicate with animals?
- Bull Shannon of "Night Court"
He can speak English yet communicate with animals
- Ant-Man (Scott Lang), Wasp (Janet Van Dyne), Yellowjacket (Hank Pym)
All three communicate cybernetically with insects
- Wolverine (Logan)
He communicates empathetically on "primitive levels"
- "Tarzan" means what in the Ape Language?
- FIVE IS RIGHT OUT.
- There is no Question Six.
- We all know that Mr. Ed (voice by Rocky Lane) communicates with Wilbur (Alan Young) alone. Why won't he talk with others?
He doesn't like skeptics
- Who was the voice for Francis The Talking Mule, #M52519 of the 123rd?
- Who were the dolphins that were taught to speak (and later kill) in the George C. Scott movie, "Day of the Dolphin"?
Alpha and Beta; or Fa and Be
- Who taught Dr. John Doolittle (Rex Harrison) to talk to the animals?
Polynesia, his parrot
- How did Don Johnson communicate with his dog in the movie "A Boy and His Dog"? Also, name the characters, and the source of the story.
Vic talked with Blood (voice by Tim McIntire) because Blood was telepathic. It was an adaptation of Harlan Ellison's story, "Vic and Blood"
- Who was "The Cat From Outer Space"?
Zunar J5/90 Doric 4-7; Zunar for short; played by twin abyssinians Rumple and Amber; voice provided by Roddy McDowell--- any of the four is acceptable
HORSES: 10 Qs
First, given the rider, name the steed.
- Dudley Do-Right
- Princess Buttercup
Then, given the steed, name the rider.
Alexander the Great
PRIMATES: 15 Qs
- Who were the first PRIMATES to return to earth?
Abel and Baker, chimps
- What was "The Most Original Movie Ever Made"?
"King Kong"-- the 1977 remake, that is
- Who was Tarzan's adoptive mother?
Kala, of the Kerchak tribe
- What was the name of Professor Peter Boyd's PRIMATE whom he tried to
raise as a human child?
- FIVE IS RIGHT OUT
- There is no Question Number Six.
- Who is the Chief of APE?
- Name the Red Ghost's Super Apes and their powers.
Gorilla-- super strength; Orangutang-- magnetism; Chimpanzee/Mandrill-- shape shifting
- Who owned Magilla Gorilla? Who wanted to own him?
Mr. Peebles; Ogee
- Name the cute sub-human sidekicks of Space Ghost.
Jan, Jayce, Blip
- Who was the trusted companion of Grape Ape?
- What did Elvis' pet monkey Scatter die of?
Cirrhosis of the liver
- Who was the PRIMATE in the Clint Eastwood flicks "Any Which Way But Loose," and "Any Which Way You Can"?
Clyde the orangutang. However, "Clint Eastwood" is also acceptable
- What three scenes were cut from the original "King Kong" by the censors?
a) Kong stripping off Fay Wray's clothing; b) Kong stomping people to death on Skull Island; c) a Skull Island native writhing in agony inside Kong's grinning mouth
- Who was the friendly PRIMATE on PBS' "The Electric Company"?
- An actor practicing to get a lead role in a jungle movie visits "Gilligan's Island," causing the usual trouble. Please tell us either the name of the movie he's trying out for, or the name he gives the castaways.
Tongo The Ape-man. That's Tong-O
- Name the Mascot and Guiding Light of "Five Is Right Out."
Tonga the Five Is Right Out Ape. (A teammate in full gorilla suit who figured in many of the Action Trivias the previous winter, and accepted the winning trophy
STUFFED ANIMALS: 10 Qs
Given the owner, tell us the type of animal and its name.
- Shirley Feeney
Boo Boo Kitty
- Walter O'Reilly
teddy bear; no name
- Mr. Howell
- Big Bird
- What is Edward Bear better known as?
Winnie the Pooh
- Who serves Mr. Bun tea?
Susie Derkins ("Calvin and Hobbes")
- Name Felix Unger's bear, describe his current condition, and explain the stain on him.
Mr. Friend; wrapped in cellophane to avoid lint; Felix's mother never could handle a spoon
- What character does Henry Rush draw in his comic strip?
- What famous person wants to be stuffed and mounted with his equallyfamous stuffed animal companion?
TRANSFORMATION: 5 Qs
What animal(s) could these persons change into? You must give the LIMITATIONS as well.
- Changeling (Garfield Logan)
Can change into ANY animal, but all animals are green
- Snowbird (Narya)
Can change into ANY animal, provided it is found in Canada
- "The Shaggy Dog," Wilby Daniels (played by Tommy Kirk)
Can change into a sheepdog, but must then perform a heroic act to change back to human form
- "Space: 1999," Maya (played by Catherine Schell)
Can change into ANY form whatever; not restricted to animals
- "Warner Brothers"-- When Bugs meets Dracula, what are the magical effects of these words? "Abracadabra," and "Hocus Pocus"?
"Abracadabra" turns Dracula into a bat; "Hocus Pocus" turns him human; combining the two phrases turns him half-bat, half-human.