Contest Main Page
Tongue-Tongue's Television Weekly
The following movie descriptions have been lifted directly from the television guides of major newspapers. Under each description, provide the full title of the film it describes. We have answered the first two in order to get you started.
- An atomic researcher in Scotland links radiation burns to throbbing mud from the center of the earth.
X the Unknown
- Two possibilities. You'll swallow it whole or butt your head against the wall.
- Neil Simon's spoof of detectives.
- Married couch potatoes make a deal with the devil to try a cable TV system featuring 666 channels.
- Sheriff Buford T. Justice chases a trucker, his buddy, a runaway bride and 400 cases of beer.
- Albee's boiling alphabet soup, from Broadway. Blistering and brilliant.
- The troupe's sketches include gluttony, birth control and total insignificance.
- Forced to coach a girls soccer team, a salesman stacks it with his girlfriend's son in disguise..
- Zunar 5J/90 Doric ForSeven, or Jake the cat, crash-lands on Earth and asks a physicist for help.
- An inmate learns guitar from his cellmate, then gets an agent and turns rock 'n' roll star.
- Victorian London's Jack the Ripper escapes to 1979 San Francisco in H. G. Wells' time machine.
- Tom Mix and Wyatt Earp solve a kinky murder mystery at the Academy Awards in 1929 Hollywood.
- A homosexual film buff and a rebel share a prison cell in Latin America.
- A prince needs a razor-tipped boomerang to free his beloved from the fortress of the beast.
- Excellent camouflaging of standard revenge western, copping true-blue Duke his Oscar.
- High school students, some on the honor roll, turn beastly from exposure to nuclear-plant waste.
- A large Bavarian woman livens up another woman's gas station/motel in the California desert.
- A French schoolboy befriends a mysterious new student who is hiding from the Nazis.
- Big Tom at bat in Japan.
- A lighthouse keeper's daughter befriends a runaway orphan and his playmate, an animated green dragon.
- A woman psychiatrist reads an amnesiac murder suspect's surreal dream.
- At the 1967 concert: the Mamas & the Papas, Jimi Hendrix, Otis Redding, Janis Joplin, the Who, Ravi Shankar, Simon & Garfunkel.
- Agent 007 charms a tarot reader in Jamaica on the voodoo/heroin trail of a Mr. Big.
- Charming, original comedy about American company buying Scottish village. Droll and surprising.
- Mostly amateur actors as "new bohemians" in Austin, Tex. Parade of eccentrics gets monotonous, whatever the inner meaning.
- Downed in the Sahara, a pilot and passengers build a new plane from the wreckage.
- A disc jockey, a pimp and an Italian tourist escape from jail in New Orleans.
- A wild and wily teen moves in with her rich new girlfriend and seduces the father as the mother lays dying.
- A clergyman leads survivors of a capsized luxury liner through the ship's innards to its highest point.
- A space hero and his team of do-gooders battle Dr. Lizardo and his army of Red Lectroids.
- A minor-league pitcher inherits $300 million but must spend $30 million in 30 days to get it.
- A literary baseball groupie rates a pitcher and a catcher on a minor league North Carolina team.
- An exiled Paris chef enlightens two pious Danish sisters.
- Killer Jason wears a mask this time so teens won't recognize him.
- John Ford's Welsh coal miners. One of the screen's great human dramas.
- San Francisco high-school dropout takes over slain brother's private police force.
- Dog trainer and opera singer. Sad mess of a romantic comedy.
- Pregnant high school dropout meets moody electronics genius.
- Fast, sassy adventure spoof of Peace Corps workers in Thailand.
- The adventures of a deaf runaway searching for her brother among the flower children.
- A schoolteacher flies to Italy to pursue a shoe salesman she believes to be her soulmate.
- 18th century German officer's exploits in war, underworld, on the moon.
- Fellini's boyhood memoir of small Italian town as Fascists edged in.
- Young girl tries to divorce neglectful parents. Okay start, then strained.
- Gaynor won best actress as a city woman who tempts a farmer to kill his wife. Warning: silent film, directed by a German.
- Now they meet Shredder's new mutant monsters.
- Boxing match with rival summer camp. For those who care.