Contest Main Page
Phreaks of Nature
(Sex, Death, Scouting, and Much, Much More)
(The cover featured "Sue and the Two Headed Llama" and the equally terrifying "Brian & Rich" (next to a 6-foot-tall Snoopy).)
An easy one to start: What's the name of the Williams College Outing Club newsletter?
- Some weasels and ferrets have a bone that hunters regularly use for toothpicks. Where is that bone found?
- When mating, how does the male wolf help guarantee that he and the female will be locked in embrace for at least half an hour?
- What is the the Heimlich-like maneuver called that a male frog does to the female, to squirt her eggs out so he can fertilize them? (He's on her back, arms under her armpits, and hugs.)
- How can you tell a legless lizard from a snake?
- On average...
- What is the longest venomous snake?
- ...The shortest?
- ...The heaviest?
- There is only one deadly species of tick in the world: on what continent may it be found?
- What type of animal is a cone shell, and how does it defend itself from attack?
- Which of the following are poisonous but not venomous: rockfish, stonefish, porcupine fish, scorpion fish?
- (There were pictures of seven different animal tracks.) Identify the above tracks as: reindeer, antelope, bear forepaw, bear hindpaw, red deer, roe-deer, and wild boar.
- (There were pictures of five types of mushrooms.) Which of the above mushrooms are edible? Which aren't? '
- (There were pictures of five different types of leaves.) Identify the following leaves as: cedar, white oak, beech, red maple, and black walnut.
SCOUTING FOR BOYS AND GIRLS: GOOD, CLEAN FUN
"WHAT'S BLUE AND COMES IN A BROWNIE?"
--Courtesy of Jeff "Ebola" Bolas
- Who founded the Boy Scouts? The Girl Scouts.?
- List the Cub scout ranks in ascending order.
- What does "Webelos" stand for?
- List the Boy Scout ranks in ascending order.
- List the Girl Scouts' five program levels.
- How many merit badges are required of an Eagle Scout? What is the Girl Scout's Eagle Award equivalent?
- How many [Boy] Scout laws are there?
- What is the Boy Scout motto?
- What is the Girl Scout Promise?
- In the Girl Scout Friendship Song, two kinds of friends are described as silver and gold. Who are silver friends, and who are gold?
- If you were ever a Brownie, you probably grew to hate this over-cute little ditty. But we at Gentle Tongue-Tongue don't care if we force you back into therapy: Transcribe the lyrics to the "Brownie Smile" song.
AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT: A LITTLE LOCAL SCENERY
- Who owns and operates the Hopkins Memorial Forest?
- Where is the Greylock Glen?
- What is the name of the center (not the Memorial Tower) at the top of Mt. Greylock?
- Where are annual college Mountain Day celebrations held?
- What is the Natural Bridge in Natural Bridge State Park made of? Where is
Natural Bridge State Park, anyway?
- (A photograph of an elaborate wrought-iron-looking sculpture was shown.) Where is the above sculpture located? What is it made from?
- (A photograph of Mt. Greylock was shown, with a certain area highlighted.) This is the view of one side of Mt. Greylock. Popular legend has it that the bald area (within the box) resembles what?