|Willipedia is now back online as of 5/5/2019|
|It has been several years since Willipedia closed. Please help get it updated!|
|Go to the Willipedia 2.0 Project to learn more.|
no edit summary
Morgan is an atypical late 19th c. free adaptation of motifs from European medieval architecture. It doesn't have a specific style, although there may be a bit Jacobean in the gables. Marianna Griswold Van Renssalaer, probably the best critic of American architecture in her day, thought that Morgan Hall looked like a promising new direction in American architecture. The architect J.C. Cady, did many famous structures in his day including the old Metropolitan Opera House. Rumor has it the Gargoyle on the building was put there to scare away Amherst students.
Morgan sits in the heart of urban Williamstown on the corner of Spring and Main Street. It commands a strategic position on campus offering a wonderful view on the upper floors
. It has four vertical entries: Morgan West, Midwest, and East (if you wonder how people know whether they are in "East or "Mideast," they have given the walls various color shades ). Morgan rooms come in various arrangements, some are part of a small suite; others are off a hall and across from each other. The bathroom situations vary, but in general are shared by a small number of floor-mates. Morgan is right off the Science Quad, The Computer Center and across from the Gym and Student Center.
Morgan is home of the only two gargoyles on campus, which legend says are placed there to scare away Amherst.
A portion of the building was damaged by fire and repaired in 1904-05.