==Self -nom Uses== Self- noms are used by various organizations to select students. They usually consist of a statement written by the student describing why they would make a good choice. Self-noms can broadly be divided into two categories: those for a general election ( think [[College Council]] or class elections) and those for a selection committee (such as for the [http://wso.williams.edu/orgs/cc/committees.php Student-faculty committees] )
==Tips for Writing Good Self-noms==
* Contain the name, year and possibly major, dorm, background, study abroad plans, etc.
* Present relevant experience on campus and off
* Convince the reader that you want to do this job
* Convince the reader that you are qualified and competent enough to do this job
'''A good self-nom should ''not'':'''
* Begin with the phrase: "This is a very important time for Williams college", or "I'm really excited to be ______". Everyone says these things and they don't mean anything.
* Exceed the allotted length
* Tell the reader irrelevant experience such as how you taught scuba diving (unless you're applying to the lecture committee because you really think we need more scuba-related talks. In that case, good luck!)
* Use obscure or overly intellectual language. Remember your audience is your peers.
* Use fancy formatting. What you say is more important.