|Willipedia is now back online as of 5/5/2019|
|It has been several years since Willipedia closed. Please help get it updated!|
|Go to the Willipedia 2.0 Project to learn more.|
Do it in the dark
Do It In The Dark
Do It In The Dark is the name for the Williams energy saving competition. It was first held in the fall of 2005 and was repeated in the spring of 2006. It is a month-long contest to measure which house can reduce its energy usage the most by turning off lights, computers and other electric devices.
During the competition, ou can check on your house's weekly progress by visiting this page.
==Energy Saving Tips== (click here for more)
To be good:
- Turn off your lights (the myth of using more energy if you turn on and off lights is only true for flourescent bulbs older than about 15 years, so no)
- Hibernate or shut down your computer
- Turn off your power strip (adapters draw power even when not used)
- Take shorter showers
- Wash your clothes on the cold water ("bright colors") setting
- Ask friends to do it in the dark with you!
To cheat on the contest a little:
- Charge your laptop in Goodrich or the Library
- Spend more time at your boyfriends/girlfriends room
More details can be found here: dark2006.jpg
The competition is a joint effort between Greensense, CEAC and Facilities, and of course every student living on campus. It is partly inspired by the student body's environmental principles and partly by the college's response to rising energy costs.
The fall 2005 prize consisted of a free night for the house at Images with snacks. The spring 2006 prize was "Renew Your Energy" Extravaganza, complete with Ben and Jerry's ice cream sundaes, pizza, drinks, massages, puppies, and more, in the house and right before finals week.
For Fall 2006, the pize will again consist of a "Renew Your Energy" Extravaganza much like the very popular one in the spring. Yes, there will be puppies to play with. Get excited!!!
Read More about Sustainability at Williams