Baxter Hall

222 bytes added, 15:35, July 22, 2011
better caption
[[Category:BuildingsBuilding]][[Category:History]][[Image:Baxter from lawn.png|left|Baxter as seen from Baxter Lawn, dressed up for commencement and reunions]]Ground breaking for Baxter Hall took place on September 13, 1952, and the building was dedicated in February 21, 1954. Named for the [[James Phinney Baxter III]], Class of 1914, who served as [[President ]] of the College]] from 1937-1961, the building has served as [[freshman ]] center, student union and [[dining hall]], while providing office space for [[Category:Groups|student organizations ]] and college [[departments]]. Cost to complete the building was 1.5 million dollars. Perry, Shaw, Hepburn, Kehoe and Dean was the architectural firm responsible for designing the structure.
Renovations to Baxter Hall in 1984/85 involved renovating the first floor area to include new office space for student organizations, a [[darkroom]], xerox, and conference rooms. A new entrance was added to the main level, as well as new lounge and mailroom areas. In addition to the construction of the office and commons areas, the heating and ventilation systems were overhauled, the [[WCFM]] studio was refurbished, and a new fire alarm system was installed.
[[Image:Baxter from Rt2 B&W.jpg|right|thumb|Baxter was demolished beginning in the summer of 2004 its early days. Its resemblance to make way for the [[Paresky Centera steamboat is clear from this angle.]], scheduled for completion in 2007. For more information see
Baxter was demolished beginning in the summer of 2004 to make way for the [[Paresky Center]], completed in February 2007.
{{Williams College Archives|url=}}